Thursday, February 12, 2015

First Job Interview

Do you remember your first job interview? Even if you don't, I bet you were pretty nervous and wanted everything to be just right, but weren't necessarily sure that would be so.

Photo of Yasir with Dennis Roberts that went viral.
It was just that sort of worrying about the right touches that prompted teenager Yasir Moore to make a stop at his local Target Supercenter in North Carolina, seeking out a pre-tied tie. Although Target did not have one in stock, the employee serving him, Cathy Scott, helped him pick out a regular tie. Then Dennis Roberts, another employee, tied the tie so it could be slipped over Yasir's head.

But that's not all they did. While serving Yasir, they gave him advice that was designed to help win him the job, for which he was applying at Chick-Fil-A. They also invited him back to tell them how the interview went.



Just this Monday, Yasir and his mother, Najirah Parrish, returned to Target to thank the team that had helped Yasir so much. Najirah discussed what she though about this kind act, "They could have just sold my son a tie. But they took the time, helped him tie the tie, and talked to him. They treated my son with dignity, respect."

How did Yasir feel about the encouragement he received? "When he [Dennis Roberts] told me all this advice, I got my confidence back. And so when I went there, I was calm, cool, and collected." But Yasir was a bit shocked to hear that the photo that another customer took and posted on facebook became popular, but he did understand. He said, "After I heard it went viral, I was in shock. I was amazed. It's one of the best things that ever happened to me. It's a good story. Usually in the world today, you don't see a lot of good things that happen."

So, how did Yasir do in his interview? He already went back for a second interview this past weekend and he passed that one, so Chick-Fil-A plans to call him back today for the next step in the process.

Yasir and his mother hugging Cathy Scott and Dennis Roberts, Target employees.
Thanks to this article from ABC News: http://abcnews.go.com/US/target-teen-yasir-moore-returns-store-job-interview/story?id=28862952, and this one from WTVD: http://abc11.com/society/teen-who-was-the-subject-of-viral-target-picture-meets-those-who-helped-him/510358/.


No comments:

Post a Comment