Saturday, November 28, 2015

Out Of The Dark

Argan oil, the product that changed lives of some Moroccan women.
Societies that have restrictive social norms can be rather confining for the women who live within them. Restrictions that leave women with very little power make them vulnerable to violence and discrimination. Opportunities for independent ambitions and actions are limited.

But sometimes it is possible to find those small spaces of freedom that allow women to develop an enterprise, allowing them to reach out to the larger world outside. No longer the silence of life lived in the dark; now the rest of the world hears about them, interacts with them, albeit in a limited way. But the light that enters brings with it opportunities that were never available before, conveying a strength not experienced previously.



Renda Nazzal, Arlo Malmberg, and Haley Blake brought this opportunity to the women of Morocco with THE ARGAN PROJECT. It began with a partnership with a woman-owned cooperative in southwestern Morocco, utilizing the experience of San Francisco based Renda, to bring the coop-produced argan oil to the markets of the San Francisco Bay area.

Renda discussed the purpose of the project, "To make a difference in the lives of Moroccan women, is to support a solution that they have already identified. From that shared conviction, my partners and I have decided to expand market opportunities for argan oil cooperatives." By knowing the origins of the oil, the women's stories become available to a larger public. That gives the women the power of publicity, along with the money-making opportunities that come with opening a new market.

The voices of some of the women who participate shows the importance of this enterprise. Zahra said, "I decided to work at the cooperative to be financially independent and to secure the future of me and my family. Whenever I need money, I have it now. I enjoy being part of this cooperative; we organize excursions, we visit nearby cities, and while working we joke and have fun. I can only think of positive things when I think of this cooperative." According to Hajar, one of the youngest members, "I am 14 years old, I am new at the cooperative. I come to the cooperative when I don't have school. Among the things that I have gained being part of the cooperative is learning how to crack open the argan seeds just perfectly, and I am also getting to know new people in my hometown. I dream to be a successful teacher." As you can see, the women who are part of the cooperative benefit greatly, with the doors opened to better opportunities and a larger world view.

Renda sells some of the products at Golden Hill Park.
Since starting, the products made by the cooperative have expanded beyond argan oil, into pure saffron, cosmetic argan oil, and argan combined with almond butter, all of which can be ordered online from the website. The site's blog shares healthful recipes which utilize the products.

Some of the women in the cooperative working with argan seeds.
Thanks to this article from Pollination Project: https://thepollinationproject.org/grants-awarded/renda-nazal-argan-project/.


No comments:

Post a Comment