Friday, November 27, 2015

Rising From The Flames

Harley Dabbs, with her boyfriend, Joshua.
Sometimes there is an event that occurs in a person's life that makes such a profound change that that life is never the same again. What started as just an average life becomes something quite different. This was the case for Harley Dabbs, who was born in Eden, North Carolina, to two very proud parents.

Then when she was three years old, the trailer home in which she and her two sisters resided with their parents, went up in flames. Harley recounted, "My mom was trying to catch up on some laundry and I guess the wires got so hot and they ended up catching on fire." Little Harley was trapped inside until her father dashed through the flames and rescued her, getting burned himself in the process. The young toddler was burned over 80% of her body and was given just a 2% chance of surviving.



But the young girl did survive and she grew, as any young girl would. Her childhood, though, was punctuated by frequent stays at the Shriner's Children's Hospital in Cincinnati for multiple skin grafts and surgeries. Harley shared, "Shriners is my second home. I felt like I was another species and it made me feel okay being there because there were people who looked like I did - I actually felt like I belonged."

However, that wasn't always the case outside of the hospital. Children can be cruel, especially older children. There was no lack of bullies, who directed taunts at this growing girl, because of her appearance. All of the cruelty did get to her too, causing her episodes of depression, punctuated with thoughts of suicide. According to Harley, "I wouldn't go anywhere. I wouldn't leave the house. If I did go somewhere, I would fully cover myself no matter how hot it was outside. I'd wear coats and long pants." That was when she was younger, though.

Now, at age 21, Harley Dabbs is more at peace with herself. She has changed internally, emotionally. To mark that change, she got a tattoo of a phoenix on her back. She discusses her change in attitude, "I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Now I'm a warrior, I'm tough. I am who I am because I fought to be this person. I went through hell just to come out on top and I will every time."

Her attitude pervades her life, and her life representation online, on facebook. She wants to inspire others who face life challenges by sharing her internal strength. Harley notes, "I hope my story will help others who battle with their scars or birth. No matter what, they can get through their tough times and will be okay."

The fire that changed Harley Dabbs' life forever.
And what does this wonderful young woman have planned for her future? Ms. Dabbs provided an answer, "I hope to become a nurse and a motivational speaker. I'm supposed to help others, burned or not, realize they're beautiful regardless of what society portrays." You can bet that it wasn't easy for Harley to get where she is now. She had quite a difficult pathway, but she is, indeed an inspiration.

Harley Dabbs triumphed over the childhood bullies, who had previously led to her depressed mood.
Thanks to this article from Little Things.com: http://www.littlethings.com/beautiful-burn-victim-vcom/?utm_source=LTcom&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=inspiring.

Click here to view more details about this beach umbrella sand anchor.


No comments:

Post a Comment